Thursday, January 25, 2007

Can I Get my Hearts and Minds Well Done?

Military shows off new ray gun
By ELLIOTT MINOR, Associated Press Writer
Thu Jan 25, 5:43 AM ET

MOODY AIR FORCE BASE, Ga. - The military calls its new weapon an "active denial system," but that's an understatement. It's a ray gun that shoots a beam that makes people feel as if they are about to catch fire.

Apart from causing that terrifying sensation, the technology is supposed to be harmless _ a non-lethal way to get enemies to drop their weapons.

Military officials say it could save the lives of innocent civilians and service members in places like Iraq and Afghanistan.

…

During the first media demonstration of the weapon Wednesday, airmen fired beams from a large dish antenna mounted atop a Humvee at people pretending to be rioters and acting out other scenarios that U.S. troops might encounter in war zones. (Read More)

Well, this is good news. I don’t know about you, but when I’m a disgruntled citizen of a country under occupation, nothing makes me happier, and want to cooperate more than feeling like I’ve been set on fire.

No comments: